It is one of the beauties of WordPress that it can be installed on localhost or local servers. You can install in on your computer to manage your blog locally. It is extremely useful when you don’t have an Internet connection or when you want to design your blog offline. Bloggers install WordPress on their computer to experiment with different plugins, themes and other features of the CMS. If you are also wishing to install WordPress on localhost, this tutorial will guide you through the process. Follow below instructions after that you will be able to install and run WordPress on local server.
(Note: I am writing this tutorial for Windows 7 users. The procedure may be slightly different for users of any other OS)
Download and Install Wamp Server
First of all, download and install Wamp Server freeware. This program converts your computer to a server at which you can then install WordPress or any other supported CMS including general websites. To install Wamp Server, follow below steps
1. Download Wamp Server
from the official website or from this link
. To ensure that you are using the latest version, download it from the official website
2. Run the setup and install it on your computer
3. After successful installation, launch the program. Once the program is launched, you will see a green “W” in task bar
Create a Database
After installing and launching the program, proceed by following below instructions:
1. Click on the “W” from task bar. A menu containing several options will appear. Select “phpMyAdmin” from the menu
2. phpMyAdmin will be launched. Click the “Databases” tab and create a new database and close the browser
1. Now download WordPress from WordPress’ official website
or from this link
. Downloading the CMS from its official website will ensure that you are getting the latest version
2. After downloading WordPress, unzip it. You will get a folder named “WordPress” from zipped package
3. Now go to wamp/www/ directory in C drive or where Wamp Server is installed
4. Copy unzipped WordPress folder to www directory in wamp folder
5. After copying the folder, open it and edit wp-config.php file in Notepad or any other editor
6. Write the database name in specified place in front of ‘DB_NAME’
7. Write root in username field
8. Leave the password field blank
9. Save wp-config.php file
Now you have almost completed the tasks. Next is to install WordPress and it will take just a minute. To install WordPress, follow below instructions:
1. Open your web browser
2. Type the address http://localhost/wordpress in browser address bar
3. Installation of WordPress will automatically start and you will be guided through the installation process
4. Provide the required details in the fields and proceed with installation
5. After completion of installation, note down the password which is shown on the screen. This password is generated automatically so you need to keep it securely
Installed WordPress, Now What to Do?
After installing WordPress, you can access your blog at http://localhost/wordpress. To make a post, install a theme, install a plugin or for any other administrative purpose, access your blog’s dashboard at http://localhost/wordpress/wp-admin/.
I hope that this tutorial helped you in installing WordPress on your local server. Now design and manage your blog on your computer and then upload it to the server when you find it satisfying your dreams. You will also be able to learn about WordPress in depth which might be impossible or harmful for you when you try to play with your blog online.
Wamp Server Doesn’t Get Turn Green?
It is one of the biggest problems which bloggers face when they install WordPress on their computers. Sometimes, Wamp icon doesn’t turn green; it means that the port needed for getting Wamp Server online is being used by any other application. In most cases, the port is used by Skype. If you are also facing the issue that Wamp icon doesn’t turns green and it remains offline, try to find out the application which is using the port, quit it and then launch Wamp server again.
Need further help? Just leave a comment below and we will help you.